Friday, August 3, 2012

The London Olympic Games 2012

This post is a really late post. I've been wanting to write up a post but I just couldn't find the time. This week has been an eventful week.. the ups and the downs. The ups should definitely be remembered, whereas the downs should probably best be forgotten? I will write up a post about my week a little later, but for now, I want to write a little about the MOST HAPPENING EVENT now!


The quadrennial event is finally back again after the last one in Beijing, the 2008 Olympics. This current Olympic Games is currently held in London, Great Britain with it being the first ever city to host the Games for the 3rd time in history. I'm very excited for this Olympic Games because from what I can most remember, this 2012 London Olympics is the 2nd Olympics that I'm watching with the Beijing Olympics the 1st of course. The memory of me "actually" watching the 2004 Olympic Games in Athen is rather vague, hence, it's not counted. :P


With the Olympics being held in London this year, it disadvantages me because of the time difference. We definitely got the perks in 2008 by being in the same time zone as Beijing. The Games actually started on Friday, the 27th July but in my time, it was already Saturday, the 28th. I woke up at 3am, the earliest in my family just to watch the Opening Ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games. Like, how can I even miss such a historic event right?! My parents came half and hour after me. The event only started at 3.50am however I didn't regret waking up that early because I wasn't that groggy anymore.


Oh, did I mention that I had school that day? In Brunei, most of the school runs from Monday to Thursday and Saturday being the last day of school for the week. I only had less than 3 hours of sleep. I was pretty hyper for the rest of the day mostly due to my lack of sleep. Back to the story, the opening ceremony was amazing! I quite like it. The performances were brilliant and I loved how the event was graced by many big shots especially how the royal family are in attendance. I love royal watching! Oh, the Queen also acted in a short skit with Daniel Craig. Rowan Atkinson made it back with Mr.Bean and also, JK Rowling was there too! Arctic Monkeys and Paul McCartney sang to close the opening ceremony. WOW! It was nice because I actually understood most of the whole thing, all thanks to my sociology lessons. While it was easy for me to take it all in, some found it hard because it's totally not our culture.


Of course, this opening ceremony was compared to it's predecessor, the Beijing 2008 Olympics. Some says the Beijing one was better and some says this London one is better. To me, they're both really good. I mean, a country has got to put in a lot of effort, sweat and blood in order to successfully pull off the entire thing. So, we've got to appreciate all these, that's in store and prepared for us. I enjoy the whole show, though I has to leave for school at 7am and did not really catch the ending but I caught the rerun and it was great! I love the lighting of the cauldron and how it was lighted by 7 youths. It was pretty innovative to come up with the 205 fire stands that come together as one. :)


I caught a lot of the events on television. How I wished that I was actually there and then to witness the competitions. This year, Brunei even sent over 3 athletes to participate in the Games, Anderson for swimming, Maziah and Hafiy for the tracks. It's all for the experience for them. I find it overwhelming when I see the champions get all teary when they see their country's flag being hoist up and hear their national anthem play. What a proud moment for them and their respective countries. :')


There's still more to come and I'm watching some of the events when I have the time. I'm rooting for many countries and for many athletes. They're all so good so I can't choose. :P  I'm anticipating a glorious closing ceremony. Hopefully, all will go smoothly for the Games despite some scandals that has already made its way. All the best to the athletes!! :D


May the best man(woman) win,
Hannah

p.s. I love the music being played during the opening ceremony. Hehe.. Here's some to entertain you.





No comments:

Post a Comment