Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Growing up with Tom and Jerry

Just wanting to share something to break the long silence here on the blog. (I've been very, very, very busy ><)

I saw something that intrigued me while surfing 9GAG just now. 


I find the above statements absolutely so true. 

"Childhood is time when you like Jerry and admire his smartness. Maturity is time when you understand, that Jerry is a complete asshole and you feel sorry for Tom."

I've spent a fair share of my childhood watching cartoons on TV and one of the cartoons that I used to like watching was 'Tom and Jerry' alongside with Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Totally Spies, Kim Possible and many, many more. I can't believe how much TV I watched. 

I was no couch potato when I was younger. I spent a lot of time playing outdoors in the neighbourhood with the neighbourhood children. I remembered how my grandma who used to watch us (her grandchildren) during the day would bar us from going outdoors to play and we would sneak out anyway and get into trouble when we came back home. Oh, how I miss the good fun in the old days...

Sorry for side-tracking and back to the topic. I used to enjoy Jerry's wits and enjoyed Jerry always outsmarting Tom. I used to hate Tom as a kid, like why did Tom always bully Jerry and make trouble for Jerry. Obviously, I loved it when Jerry won over Tom and think that Tom deserves what he got.

But as I grew older and re-watch those exact same cartoons that I've seen as a child, I find Jerry a nuisance and I would empathise with Tom. Watching Tom and Jerry with an older mindset makes me realised that it was Jerry who caused and find himself all the troubles and lands himself in all the mess that he created. In the end, I grew to dislike Jerry.  I find him rather annoying. HAHA!!

Growing up really does changes people huh?

Here's to growing up,
Hannah

1 comment: